Welcome to my blog where you can hopefully be inspired

The design ideas in this blog are for you to get inspired to help make your home a place that will be warm and cozy. I'm not a minimalist and love to be surrounded by beautiful things that did not cost a lot of money. My husband and I went to garage sales for 7 years until we couldn't bring anything else home because it wouldn't fit. I use to take people with me to the garage sales by their request because they wanted to learn how I found so many lovely things. It was a great adventure for them and they learned how to get in and get out fast. So I hope I will be able to help you too find things that look like you spent a bundle when in reality you got it for a song.....

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Garage Sales - Where hidden treasures are found

For 7 years my husband and I went to garage sales every weekend.  We had a neighborhood we picked that we would head to.  Up at 5:00 a.m.  (Spring and Summer time) we would head out to catch the people putting up their signs.  This is one secret to getting the best stuff before anyone else,  but you have to be patient, because they are usually  still in the process of placing their signs up and if you are lucky they will tell you where they live and you can head there before anyone else. 

The list of items we found over those 7 years is too long to mention, but in this blog I have tried to feature some of the best stuff we found, so you can see that going to garage sales can pay off.  There were times when we would have so much in the back of our SUV that we had to go home unload and go out again.  We would look until around 11:00 a.m. then if there were some spots that we thought the people might lower their price and the item might still be there we would go back and check it out.  Sometimes it would pay off.  The items that we found that are still with us is on display in our current home. 

Over the years we have had our own garage sales to get rid of stuff so we could bring more in....does this sound familiar to some of you?  When we would have a good day we would be like kids on Christmas morning.  I am one of  the biggest and best bargain shoppers that ever lived.  I do not pay full retail for anything that I don't have to.  What we found out while  buying at garage sales is that you are then able to spend the big $$$ on special items for your home because you've saved so much money on the little stuff.  

My sister Mary got me started with going to garage sales.  I remember the first time I went, I looked at all the "junk" and said to her, this isn't for me.  Then one day I stopped at one just to see what they were selling and found some REALLY good stuff and that was it for me...I was now ready for the hunt.  Fortunately for me, my husband John loved going to, so between the two of us we could divide and concur.  He would always go for the electronic stuff and the rest was up to me.  After a while I learned to take what I thought I wanted, then go to the side and sort through and take a closer look at things to be sure they weren't broken or chipped.  There were times when I had hesitated and the item would get scooped up by someone else and I would be kicking my self for not grabbing it when I had the chance.

So for you who are unsure that you can find good stuff at garage sales go to a few (early) and give it a chance.  There is treasures in those them there hills!   

No comments:

Post a Comment