Welcome to my blog where you can hopefully be inspired

The design ideas in this blog are for you to get inspired to help make your home a place that will be warm and cozy. I'm not a minimalist and love to be surrounded by beautiful things that did not cost a lot of money. My husband and I went to garage sales for 7 years until we couldn't bring anything else home because it wouldn't fit. I use to take people with me to the garage sales by their request because they wanted to learn how I found so many lovely things. It was a great adventure for them and they learned how to get in and get out fast. So I hope I will be able to help you too find things that look like you spent a bundle when in reality you got it for a song.....

Monday, January 24, 2011

Design Inspiration

Inspiration comes from everything and everywhere....fashion, art, architecture, music, hotel designs, restaurant designs, etc.  Just look around you.  The people who have chosen to make designing as a career have learned to bring their creative senses into everything they do.  We walk around looking at everything as inspiration.  Artist do it, fashion designers do it, so don't feel discouraged if you think you can't get inspired because you can.  Take a pillow as an inspiration piece.  From that you can make choices for your color scheme, the paint color,  the pieces of artifacts you place in a room, the flooring, window coverings, and furnishings.  You just need something to get the juices flowing no matter what item you chose as your inspiration piece.

I look at every design magazine,  tons of design books, and TV programs about design that I can get my hands on and by doing this I'm continuously being inspired.  This is why I have mentioned before that you need to start collecting things you run across from all these sources to help you get started on designing your own home.  Keep with you a camera and notepad.  I find myself making sketches of something I have seen to remind me later otherwise it's easy to forget.  As a little assignment...try to find something everyday that inspired you and put it in a journal (if you like) or at least keep some kind of record of it so you can refer to it when you get ready to start your decorating.

Below are pictures used for inspiration of our former kitchen remodel.

This grouping was the inspiration for the remodeled kitchen below




No comments:

Post a Comment