Welcome to my blog where you can hopefully be inspired

The design ideas in this blog are for you to get inspired to help make your home a place that will be warm and cozy. I'm not a minimalist and love to be surrounded by beautiful things that did not cost a lot of money. My husband and I went to garage sales for 7 years until we couldn't bring anything else home because it wouldn't fit. I use to take people with me to the garage sales by their request because they wanted to learn how I found so many lovely things. It was a great adventure for them and they learned how to get in and get out fast. So I hope I will be able to help you too find things that look like you spent a bundle when in reality you got it for a song.....

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Working with Contractors

This will probably be the most frustrating thing you will ever do.  After completing our 2-year long renovation I swore I didn't want to have anything to do with contractors again for a very long time.  Some days it was comical and other times I wanted to hit them over the head with a 2X4.  We hired all the contractors on our own so selecting them was a huge gamble.  All you need is one really bad one who could potentially ruin your renovation.  We were fortunate that we didn't have that experience but I have heard of plenty of horror stories about the "Contractors from Hell".  I was going to write a book on that subject right after we finished with our renovation to let everyone know renovating isn't for the faint of heart and the right or wrong contractor can make or ruin it for you.

Choose your contractors wisely.  Check their references and the work they've done and # one thing is   never, never, never   PAY THEM UP FRONT.  We paid them only 10% or nothing.....if they need $$$ for supplies be careful to make sure that's what the money is being used for (get receipts).  Through it all there are some good ones and there are some really bad ones and unfortunately with us there was not one contractor that we didn't have some type of issue with.  Some advice would be if you take the plunge to remodel would be:

1) do it all at once  2)  get your permits  3)  get everything in writing  4) watch them closely (very closely)  5) take pictures at different stages for reference  6)  if it's a total remodel, move out and make sure you store your belongings off site  7) their time line is not a real one, everything takes twice as long as they say it will  8)  get at least 3 bids.

If you can learn to live with some of this advice you will get through it with less headaches. When it is over the end result will all be worth it......

No comments:

Post a Comment